How can I increase my green iguana humidity?

Thursday, September 29, 20110 comments

I have a 50 gallon tank for my 6 month green iguana and keeping the humidity up to 65-75+% degrees has become a problem. I would usually spray water on the Barks to increase the humidity, I have place two large bowl of water in each side of the tank but that is still not enough. I was told a Humidifier would work. Where can I purchase a good Humidifier!?


Thanks for the Help!
*Prefer Iguana owners
*I have own reptiles before, such as bearded dragon, snakes, turtles but never an Iguana. This was a rescue Green Iguana.
*yes, I am aware that I would need to build a bigger habitat for my iguana once it become an adult*

Answer 1:
I would suggest a Zoo Med ReptiFogger, we use one for chameleons and it works great, fills the whole tank up with fog if you let it.

Answer 2:
I agree with ugly angel on the humidifier....but I also want to suggest something that will help....giving the iguana a bath in the bathtub in shallow warm water everyday helps them maintain hydration...the reason why they need a humid environment is do to the ability to absorb water through their skin. A daily bath will also help when they shed. After I started giving my iguana baths everyday he started going to the bathroom in the tub during his baths...you might think its gross but rising the poop down the drain is easier then clean a tank all the time. Iguanas prefer to poop in water just like snakes do. 
quick tip: to keep track on whether you iguana is hydrated...pinch the skin on his legs or stomach and if it stays raised for a few seconds then your iguana doesn't have enough water....also they tend to turn orange when dehydrated.

Source(s): Vet Assistant and green iguana owner for 10+years

Answer 3:

I have the perfect solution! My Chinese water dragon is currently living in a 55 gallon aquarium and it can definitely be hard to keep humidity up. However, I came across a video on Youtube (which, unfortunately, has been since deleted) that shows how to turn a humidifier into a reptile fogger. I have an animal/pets blog, so I typed up and included pictures on how I built mine: http://wildsideanimal.tumblr.com/post/54…


I used a humidifier that I bought at Walgreens, but any humidifier with the correct design will work. I have it set on a timer to turn on every hour for 15 minutes, which definitely keeps humidity up. (I live in a very dry climate.)


Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Green Iguana - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger